Monday, May 14, 2012

Harbor City Week 5

I can't believe that I've been here in Harbor City for 5 weeks already?? Oh man - the time really does fly on the mission.

And boy do I have exciting news! This weekend, we're having a baptism! Yeah! Its of a 10 year old girl named Maya. Her mother is a member, and they've just recently come back into activity and so we've been teaching Maya and she wants to be baptized! It's really exciting. It's a bit of a surprise, and at the same time it's not. We were planning on having her baptism this past weekend, but scheduling conflicts have kept the plans kind of up in the air.  Then all of the sudden the schedule opened up and the baptism is moving forward! And the most wonderful thing about it all is how excited Maya is to be baptized. She reads her scriptures with her mom, watches the church movies, and even reads the stories in "The Friend" magazines that we've given her. She's very sweet and has a great testimony of the Gospel and so we're looking forward to this Saturday. It should be a very special day for everyone involved :)

Sister Malani and I had an interesting experience last night. It was the first time that I've ever really been attacked for what I believe. For the most part here on the mission people are respectful and even if they disagree usually take a "we'll agree to disagree" status and tell us to "be safe". However, last night that was not the case. We started to talking to a woman who was very set in her ways and was very knowledgeable about the Bible and about many religions. She talked for quite a while and then asked us about what we build our foundations on, and why we believe what we do. We hadn't even said 1/2 a sentence when we were interrupted and the bashed. We then tried to speak again, but any time we said the words "Book of Mormon" off she'd go an not let us get a word in. Even when we tried to take a different approach and talk about Christ, she brought it back to the Book of Mormon and then went off. Finally after we were able to find an opening we politely thanked her for her time and tried to go. It was unsuccessful. Finally we were able to get away. Boy what an experience it was. It just further strengthened my testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ and of the truthfulness of this restored gospel. I knew what I believed, and while it hurt me that she was mistaken about us and our beliefs it didn't shake my testimony. And I am so grateful for the Gospel in my life and for the opportunity that I have to serve Him for this short time.

Well. I'm sure there are many more things to say and experiences to be recounted but....I can't think of them at the moment. Just know that I love you all!! And I hope that y'all had a very lovely Mother's Day

LOVE,
Hna Hensley

In case you haven't gone to the mission blog I have copied the pictures of Shannon and put them here.
Dad.
 
Her current zone.


No comments:

Post a Comment