Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Harbor City Week 18

Why hello everyone!

Happy to report that my arms/injuries are doing much better! I'm now out of the brace and ace bandage and my knees are almost completely healed (a little red and some scabs, but nothing compared to what it was a few weeks ago). I'm just working on stretching my arm/wrist so that one day I will be able to rotate it all around...which I have yet to be able to do without pain....*sigh* as my Doctor said today, "Your body will heal when it heals, and it doesn't care what you say about it!" haha funny stuff

This week has been a good one! Sister Snyder is an amazing missionary and I am truly blessed to have her as my companion. She works hard, is aware of her surroundings and the people around her and - she loves to do service! Our missionary handbook says that we should look for worthwhile opportunities to serve members, nonmembers, and those in our community once a week. And this is the first transfer that I've really been able to do that! Now, we mostly weed gardens but hey! It's a skill/activity that I've come to actually enjoy. Hopefully that sticks when I come home from my mission, and I'll actually grow fruits and vegetables like I want to :) And I hear that the family has a little garden in the backyard where our deck used to be...looks like I'll get to continue using my weeding skills after all!

While it has been good, it's been emotionally draining. Especially over the weekend - but I feel like we've come out on top because we are on the Lord's side. On Thursday we received a call from one of our less-active members that we had been working with. She had many questions and concerns, most of which were coming from anti-mormon websites that her mother directed her too. Try as we might to testify to her and encourage her to pray and look back at her past experiences, her mind was already set when she called us. However, we set an appointment for the next day hoping that we could have some time to pray and study to know exactly what Heavenly Father wanted us to say to her. Well, after studies we both were in a stupor of thought as to what to do and then she called and canceled on us. She then told us that she wants nothing more to do with the church, doesn't want to see us anymore and that she thinks the whole religion is a hoax. We just testified to her of what we knew to be true, encouraged her to pray and told her that we (and heavenly father) were saddened by her decision but respected her agency. And that was the last of that. The whole experience really shook me, and quite frankly made me a little angry - to think that people could be so bent on destroying a people who really only are trying to follow Christ. But then, as I've reflected back it has just become a testimony to me of how true the church is, because of how hard Satan is working to destroy it. I feel so blessed to have the testimony that I have, and to have had this experience. 

Then, the next day we have a lesson with our investigator, Mxxxxx, who is going to be baptized on the 11th of August. The lesson was on tithing. He already knew most of it because we had the lesson on it in Gospel Principles just a week or so before that. Everything seemed fine in the lesson - we had it at a members house, they bore great and sincere testimony about tithing and how even though it's hard and requires a lot of faith it has blessed their lives, and Markus agreed. However, about 30 minutes after we left he texted us.  He wanted to know what happens to us if we don't pay it, we were shocked. Mxxxxx has one of the most solid testimonies that I have seen in someone that I teach, and we just couldn't believe it. However, we called him and talked about it and he seemed at peace. He knew that it would be a struggle, and that it would take a lot of faith (especially the first time) but that if he prayed and trusted the Lord, it all would be alright. So we were feeling pretty good. Then the next day, when we asked him to confirm a time for his baptism he wouldn't because he said he still needed to think about some things. He's facing a lot of opposition from his family and he feels like when he gets baptized, he is going to loose everything. We sent him some scriptures to help and encouraged him, and we are going to be seeing him tonight and so hopefully we can really follow the Spirit and be able to know how best to help him, and if he's truly ready to be baptized this weekend. We know that he is, but the decision is up to him :) As our ward mission leader said, "don't let the fear of temporal things stop you from doing eternal things. The temporal things we can take care of, but if you forfeit spiritual blessings the only person who can help is you" 

Well, that's all from Harbor City this week! My love to you all!!

Sister Hensley
 
This is me learning a bit of sign language from a couple of Elders on a mission to the deaf.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment