Monday, September 3, 2012

Baldwin Village Week 3 (LENGUA)

Hola Everyone!!

This week has been crazy, just like all of the other weeks have been on my mission. I feel like maybe I need to find another adjective to describe what being on the mission feels like...haha suggestions would be welcome!

Anyway.

What's interesting to me about this week is that now that I'm pretty far away from the ocean (way farther than in any of my other areas) I keep getting fed seafood. Yeah. And, I don't particularly like it, but I can eat it. I have some kind of fried fish and baked Tilapia in a red tomato-y sauce. Both of which were fine, but not my favorite. However, nothing will cap the great adventure that I had eating...

LENGUA. Yup. for those of you who don't speak Spanish, that's TONGUE. COW. TONGUE.

Now, I think it would not have been that bad if it had been shredded or something in an indistinguishable way and mixed with vegetables and stuff - but no. I saw her take it out of the pot and it literally looked like someone had just yanked it right out of the cow's mouth. Not to mention it was HUGE. I was rather shocked by it (honestly I wasn't expecting to see it all it's tongue-y glory) and so I kind of freaked out. Which gave the member, and my companion, good excuse to mock me for the rest of the night. And then it was just cut into giant chunks and put into tacos. Oh my. I ate one and a half and that's about all I could do. It didn't taste that bad really but I just honestly couldn't get over the texture and the fact that it still looked like pieces of grey tongue in my tacos. Oh man. What an adventure indeed. So that was rather traumatizing.

Another interesting event, we have quite a few stray cats around our apartment and one of them had kittens last week! they are adorable! and they are living at the back of the complex near the laundry room...I took some pictures :)

Other than those things, life in the mission has been going well. We are still having trouble contacting many of the referrals that we have received in the past little while so this week we are going to make them priority in any of the open time slots that we have. Boy are we grateful for these names/people we have been entrusted with and we don't want to let those who referred us down! 

I'm still finding it a little difficult to transition to this new area. Things are just very different and it's been an adjustment. However, I'm coming to honestly love those who we teach. The members that I've met so far have been such a blessing to help us. With time, I know that this area will feel like home to me, just like the other areas that I've been in. 

Sister Deskins and I are doing well :) It took some time for us to adjust to teaching together again.  Even tho we went through the MTC together we have both changed and have very different teaching styles. But it's good now! She has such a sincere testimony and the ability to truly discern the needs of those around her. I'm learning so much from her!

Well, sorry it's so short but that's all for now!

Love,
Sister Hensley

No comments:

Post a Comment