Sunday, December 16, 2012

Baldwin Village Week 13

Yes - I'm still here!

Both Sister Morgan and I survived this transfer and so I won't be going anywhere for the next 6 weeks :) Which is great because we have a lot of things going on in our area!

However, first and foremost, I have come down with a nasty flu this week and it has pretty much kicked my behind. I've had to stay in one day and my body is just sick as can be. I've been sleeping a lot and trying not to get any worse. Yesterday I came down with a wicked fever during ward council and so the member who was on splits with me while Sister Morgan was at the USC ward took me home, gave me some meds and made me sleep. And so I've been fighting the battle. I got a priesthood blessing on like the 3rd day which told me to not worry about things that are out of my control and that I would increase in gospel knowledge while I wasn't able to go out in work. So, no time line of healing per say for me but I will beat this thing! Just on my body's time.

In the meantime, we have been balancing my dying and our teaching appointments. We've had a pretty good week considering the world seems to be against me haha. Txxxx is all prepared to be baptized this upcoming Sunday! His interview will be on Tuesday and we have had some really awesome lessons with him. He came to church on Sunday and is just as happy as can be (even though he said the election kind of dampened his spirits a bit ha). Oh! And I have an awesome tender mercy experience involving a lesson with him that I want to share. So, yesterday as I mentioned, I had a fever pretty much all day. However, we had an appointment set with Txxxx that we had to keep. He still needed to be taught a few things before his baptism.  As we were preparing to leave my fever went away.  We taught him the lesson we had prepared then on the way home my fever came back.  Isn't it amazing how God works?
 
Also, please keep Kxxxx and her family in your prayers. This week she finally sat down with her parents, bore her testimony to them and told them of her desire to be baptized. they were open and kind about it, but need time to process. They told her that they'll discuss it more over Thanksgiving, which means that her baptism will have to be postponed :( She is 18 and so she doesn't need their permission legally to be baptised, but she does want their support and that is what we would like to see happen as well. we keep praying that their hearts will be softened and that it will work out in the Lord's way for what is best for Kxxxx at this time. She is AMAZING and has such a testimony of the gospel and I can't wait for her to make those covenants with Heavenly Father. The Lord loves her and Txxxx so much and it's such a blessing to be a part of their conversion.  

Well, off to go cheer on my team in the Turkey bowl, since I'm pretty sure playing would NOT be a good idea for me. I love you all and hope to hear from you soon!

Love,
Sister Hensley
 
P.S.  
I also wanted to share this with you and the family - our mission president's wife shared it at zone conference and then emailed it to us all. I  love it :) especially because it's exactly how I feel about my mission.
A man was sleeping at night in his cabin when suddenly his room filled
with light, and the Savior appeared. The Lord told the man he had work
for him to do, and showed him a large rock in front of his cabin.  The
Lord explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his
might.  This the man did, day after day. For many years he toiled from
sun up to sun down, his shoulders set squarely against the cold,
massive surface of the unmoving rock, pushing with all his might. Each
night the man returned to his cabin sore, and worn out, feeling that
his whole day had been spent in vain.  Since the man was showing signs
of discouragement, the Adversary decided to enter the picture by
placing thoughts into the man's weary mind: "You have been pushing
against that rock for a long time, and it hasn't budged. Why kill
yourself over this? You are never going to move it,"  Thus giving the
man the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a
failure. These thoughts discouraged and disheartened the man.  "Why
kill myself over this?" he thought. "I'll just put in my time, giving
just the minimum effort; and that will be good enough."
 And that is what he planned to do, until one day he decided to make
it a matter of prayer and take his troubled thoughts to the Lord.
"Lord," he said, "I have labored long and hard in your service,
putting all my strength to do that which you have asked. Yet, after
all this time, I have not even budged that rock by half a millimeter.
What is wrong? Why am I failing?"  The Lord responded compassionately,
"My friend, when I asked you to serve me and you accepted, I told you
that your task was to push against the rock with all your strength,
which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected
you to move it. Your task was to push.  And now you come to me with
your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. But is that really
so? Look at yourself. Your arms are strong and muscled, your back is
sinewy and brown, your hands are callused from constant pressure, and
your legs have become massive and hard.  Through opposition you have
grown much, and your abilities now surpass that which you used to
have. Yet you haven't moved the rock. But your calling was to be
obedient and to push and to exercise your faith and trust in My
wisdom.  This you have done. I, my friend, will now move the rock

No comments:

Post a Comment