I made it through Thanksgiving and the Turkey and everything and I'm here to write another day ;)
I think you will all be proud to know that I ate just about all the Turkey I could handle. Y'all would be proud.
I still don't like it though :(
This week was a rough one! It was full of door slamming, angry street people, members of the singles branch getting mugged, investigators not coming to church and/or progressing, Grandma Nena dying. I've certainly been leaning on the Lord and the scriptures a lot this week to get me through. BUT we had a couple of really great things that made up for it all!!!
First off, Sister Johansen's mom sent us an Olive Garden gift card just in case we didn't have anywhere to go for Thanksgiving, and the District leader and his two companions (Elder Moore and Elder Boyd from the MTC) got some gift cards for the Olive Garden too we got to eat at the Olive Garden this week. It was delicious. I made an amazing steal/interception at Frisbee during exercises this week! I can either inherit a bike from another sister for free, or purchase a lightweight newly refurbished one for 90$ from the ward mission leader (I can't decide!) AND we had the most amazing lesson last night - and we have a NEW INVESTIGATOR!
Her name is J and we've been trying to get a hold of her for about a month now. Some Elders helped her move into her apartment about a month ago, and then they referred her to us. We have probably made about 15 appointments with her and for some reason or another they all kept falling through. child protective services was at her apartment complex once making it impossible to teach, she got stuck in traffic, car troubles, she forgot, had to pick her husband up from work, and the excuses go on and on. HOWEVER she was always calling US back and rescheduling - so we knew she wasn't just trying to ditch us. At first we just were like "SATAN! He's keeping us away form her and her family because she's gonna get baptized!" trying to be optimistic...but as the weeks rolled on we just thought it was never going to happen. IN fact, we almost didn't go back to see her. We had an appointment scheduled with her for 4:00 yesterday and she called at about 3:45 saying that she wasn't home yet, and to reschedule for 6:00. So, 6:00 rolled around and we almost decided not to go see her but we did. She lives inside of a gated apartment complex (which is extremely common here) and their call box doesn't work and our cell phone has horrible service and we couldn't get in. HOWEVER as always happens when we're trying to get into a gated complex, some people who were walking their dog and lived there let us in. We found her outside while her husband was frying some chicken and even though they were busy, she said she didn't want to turn us away again so we went over by the pool and taught the restoration and I'm telling you - the Lord truly does prepare people to hear the gospel! She was amazing! Asking all kinds of great questions, saying how she is just searching for the truth and then when she finds it she will be fully committed. She doesn't want a "Sunday only church" but one that has lifelong activity. Where your leaders know that names of you and your family. One that has great youth programs and bible studies. One where people dress appropriately for services. We were just bursting and told her everything and taught about Joseph Smith, modern-day prophets, priesthood authority and the book of Mormon. She said she felt just like Joseph Smith, that she is searching for the truth and just wanted God to tell her and show her the truth and then when she finds it, that the Holy Ghost will testify to her of the truth. She understands the need for proper authority, already believed that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ were two separate beings, and wants to pray to know the truth. We left our book of Mormon in the car but gave her a restoration pamphlet and a mormon.org card because she wanted to research and write down questions. She just wants to learn all she can and not be ignorant of us and our faith. As we were leaving she asked "Do y'all have a plan of salvation? Because I'd like to hear about that...." And we about BURST! We gave her a plan of salvation pamphlet as well and made a return appointment for Thursday, which hopefully works out. Prayers for that would be appreciated. OH, and did I tell you we asked her to be baptized when she comes to know the truth for herself and she said "Absolutely?". Yeah. It was an awesome end to a not-so awesome week. But it was so worth it.
Well, I'm running out of time for this week but know that I love you all, that the church is true, and that families are forever!
Write me write me write me!
Love,
Hermana Hensley
No comments:
Post a Comment